Thursday, March 22, 2012

Shaggy Dog Story No. 10: The Checkout Line







The Checkout Line

A young man shopping in a supermarket noticed a little old lady following him around. If he stopped, she stopped. Furthermore she kept staring at him.


She finally overtook him at the checkout, and she turned to him and said, "I hope I haven't made you feel ill at ease, it's just that you look so much like my late son."


He answered, "That's okay."


"I know it's silly, but if you'd call out "Good bye, Mom" as I leave the store, it would make me feel so happy."


She then went through the checkout. As she was on her way out of the store the man called out, "Goodbye, Mom."


The little old lady waved, and smiled back at him. Pleased that he had brought a little sunshine into someone's day, he went to pay for his groceries.


"That comes to $121.85," said the clerk. "How come so much? I only bought five 5 items."


The clerk replied, "Yeah, but your Mother said you'd be paying for her things too."
---o0o---

1 comment:

Steve said...

My brother, who was in high school in the late-60s, had a copy of Abbie Hoffman's "Steal This Book." In the back of the book, my brother had written some of his own tactics for sticking it to The Man. One of them involved going to a cafeteria (the old kind - where you pay when you leave). He advised you ask to sit next to someone and make friendly conversation (specifically, my brother wrote "Make like a friendly bastard"). When you're done eating, head to the cash register and tell the cashier that your "friend" sitting over there has agreed to pay for your food. Wave to your "friend" until you get his attention and he or she waves back. This will signal to the cashier that your "friend" is actually going to pay.

Kind of an asshole move, but I'm sure my brother would have sought out a Republican or a ROTC person.