Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Remembering Jerry Garcia

Fifteen years ago, Jerry Garcia passed away.  We got to see him a couple of times on his last tour with the dead, in Seattle in May, 1995.  The photo below is from that show,  I still miss the man and the music.

A few Garcia quotes:

"Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil. "


"For me, the lame part of the Sixties was the political part, the social part. The real part was the spiritual part. "

"I'm shopping around for something to do that no one will like. "

"Nobody stopped thinking about those psychedelic experiences. Once you've been to some of those places, you think, 'How can I get back there again but make it a little easier on myself?' "

"Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us. "

"It's pretty clear now that what looked like it might have been some kind of counterculture is, in reality, just the plain old chaos of undifferentiated weirdness. "

"I read somewhere that 77 per cent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 per cent who are apparently doing quite well for themselves."

"What we do is as American as lynch mobs. America has always been a complex place. "
---o0o---

No comments: